Bacteria from poop has been discovered on ice served in a KFC restaurant in the U.K. Not so finger lickin' good.
The discovery was made as part of "Rip Off Britain," a BBC consumer watchdog show, which was investigating hygiene levels at chain cafes and takeaway restaurants. The sample was found at one branch of KFC in Martineau Place, Birmingham. Samples from the other stores displayed low and harmless levels of bacteria.
Reporters from the show went undercover into each of the restaurants and asked for a cup of ice and tap water. The samples were then studied by medical microbiologists who looked for bacteria.
Dr. Margarita Gomez Escalada, who studied the sample at Leeds Beckett University, told Rip Off Britain: "The presence of fecal coliform suggests that there's fecal contamination either on the water that made the ice, or the ice itself, and so it increases the risk of getting sick from consuming this ice."
She added, "It's really hard to say how the fecal bacteria got to the ice that we tested. The thing I think is most likely is that it got there through manipulation. So someone touched the ice and their hands weren't particularly clean."
KFC have said they were “extremely disappointed” with the news and they were undertaking an immediate investigation, along with a staff retraining program.
Janet Cox, head of health, safety, and environment at KFC U.K. and Ireland, told CNBC, “We take food safety and hygiene extremely seriously at KFC, and with 95 percent of our restaurants achieving a score of 4 or above, having just one of our 890 restaurants with a zero rating was completely unacceptable, which is why we worked with a specialist third party consultant to get the restaurant back to our high standards.”