JR showed up to the emergency room unconscious and struggling to breathe. He'd been in this state for at least 30 minutes when his mom finally got him to the hospital.
His mom had found him lying on the floor, his lips blue. It didn't take her long to establish what had happened. He had done the Forbidden Fruit Challenge. The 17-year-old boy, renamed to protect his identity, took part in the social media game that stemmed from the Tide Pod Challenge.
As YouTube channel Chubbyemu reports, it did not end well for him, and he was hospitalized for the effect it had on his lungs.
People attempt the challenge on Instagram
In an excellent explainer video, Dr Bernard explains the case of "JR", a boy who ate three laundry pods on a dare.
The new trend, called the Forbidden Fruit Challenge, sees a group of people all agreeing to record themselves eating detergent pods and then uploading the footage to social media. Whoever gets the most likes on their video wins.
Dr Bernard explains that JR wanted to, in his own words, "experience the greatness of laundry pod flavor and become Internet famous" when he took the challenge. In front of a sink, he took three laundry pods and put them into his mouth and chewed.
"Immediately he felt a burning sensation waft up into his nose". Next came a numbing sensation on his tongue, followed by a lot of retching. As he coughed, some of the detergent went down his throat and some of it went into his airway.
He began frothing at the mouth and felt a burning sensation down his esophagus as the liquid trickled into his stomach.