California Man Shows Remarkable Recovery Less Than One Year After Facial Transplant

Cameron Underwood, March 15, 2017 pre-face transplant, and post-face transplant November 26, 2018. Courtesy Mary Spano and Eduardo D. Rodriguez, MD, DDS/Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery at NYU Langone Health

Aliyah Kovner 29 Nov 2018, 21:40

On January 6th, Cameron Underwood was wheeled out of the operating room at NYU Langone Health at the end of a 25-hour surgery to replace his damaged lower face with the skin, tissue, bone, and teeth of a donor.

Now, just 11 months later, 26-year-old Underwood has healed remarkably and is in excellent health. Like all transplant patients, he will need to remain on anti-rejection medication for the rest of his life, but his team of specialist doctors are encouraged by his body’s acceptance of the new face thus far.

“We are thrilled that Cameron is responding so well to the transplant,” Dr Bruce Gelb, MD, one of the hospital’s transplant surgeons, said in a statement. “Our team has established a successful, novel, patient-donor matching protocol and immune suppression regimen that we believe provides the best outcomes for our patients because the risk of rejection and toxicity is greatly minimized.”

Underwood’s extensive facial injury was the result of a self-inflicted gunshot that occurred in June 2016. Soon after, the Yuba, California, native underwent a series of reconstructive surgeries, yet despite the best efforts of plastic surgeons, he was left with a deformed lower face that lacked a nose, most of the lower jaw, and all but one tooth.  

Clearing the approval process in record time, Underwood’s case was accepted by the NYU face transplant program – led by Dr Eduardo Rodriguez – and added to the nationwide organ donation waitlist in July 2017. In another stroke of expedient good fortune, a matching donor face was found a mere six months after Underwood joined the waitlist. Many recipients wait years for a suitable match.

William Fisher. Courtesy Fisher Family

The new face was donated from William Fisher, a 23-year-old who was living in Manhattan and studying at Johns Hopkins University. He has been registered as an organ donor since his teenage years, according to the press release. After Fisher’s mother gave her consent for the transplant, Fisher’s lower face was transported to Langone and Underwood and his family trekked to the East Coast – in the face of the oncoming "bomb cyclone" snowstorm – with the help of air ambulance services.

Full Article

If you liked this story, you'll love these

This website uses cookies

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By continuing to use our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.