Peering down his throat, the doctors spotted what they describe as a 5-centimeter (2-inch) “fish-like structure”. Luckily, through surgery, they managed to remove it, but a CT scan two days later showed that part of the fish was still embedded in the patient’s throat, so a second procedure was required. Following two weeks on antibiotics, the man recovered successfully.
The unfortunate fish was examined by scientists at the Natural History Museum Rotterdam, where it now rests in peace as part of the Dead Animal Tales exhibition. The exhibition aims to show that when animals and humans collide, there are often “dramatic consequences for both parties.”
As the authors note in their report, “this case illustrates how a reckless drinking game, imitating Jackass and/or A Fish Called Wanda, can turn into a dangerous and critical medical situation with serious consequences.”
Don’t drink fish, kids.