Why should you work for IFLScience?
Frankly, we're awesome. You get to talk about science all day and hang about with our other awesome employees. And you don't just get to enjoy coming to work every day, you also get amazing benefits like:
- 4 weeks paid vacation.
- Up to a year's family leave for new parents, fully paid.
- A three-day weekend once per month, just because we like you.
- Medical, vision and dental insurance coverage.
- A yearly "holiday bonus" to cover a vacation somewhere exciting.
- Up to 8% 401k matching scheme.
Please note that some of the benefits listed above accrue over time and are not available immediately.
Here are some recommendations from former employees of ours:
"Sometimes they break out into song. Also, the dog gives excellent cuddles." (Please note the dog is in our London office. We do not currently have a San Fransisco dog. If you can contribute a dog for cuddling, please let us know in your application!)
- Ben Taub, former staff writer
"From Science to kittens, the fun never stops".
- Phil Sinyavsky, former head of ad operations
Why you should work for IFLS, according to current employees:
"Our receptionist is a dinosaur, our cocktails come with dry ice, and Obi Wan Kenobi lives in our board room"
- Katy Evans, copy-editor
"Cookies appear a lot. And doughnuts. And sometimes puppies. Also, there's a poltergeist in our lift"
- Dr Robin Andrews, staff writer.
"Our lunch time crossword sessions are really exciting"
- Jonny O'Callaghan, senior staff writer.
Open positions will be listed below. However, we're constantly growing and we welcome speculative applications. if you're interested in working with us, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll keep your CV on file for when we next have an opening
Video Editor & Animation Support
In its relatively short operating history IFLScience has become the leading destination for engaging and thought-provoking science content, with 90 million unique monthly visitors and 300 million page views. Spawning from a Facebook page in Spring 2012, “I F*cking Love Science” now has over 25 million Facebook likes and is a top-5 for Facebook’s Edge Rank which measures engagement and reach.
We're looking for a video editor that can give animation support to our in house animator. You'll be responsible for animation clean up on Adobe Animate, creating assets in Animate and After Effects, editing in After Effects and Premiere, to help create informative and engaging videos to go on our Youtube channel. For the most part you’ll be working closely with our animator with anything that is required for the project, although there may be times filming will be required, and therefore knowing how to work your way around a camera and a film set is necessary.
There will be times where you will be required to make videos using footage and After Effects, so the ability to edit videos is essential.
You'll be expected to brainstorm ideas for video content along with our editorial team, so a strong interest in science is essential!
- Experience with basic animation in Adobe Animate.
- Experience with animating/editing in After Effects.
- Experience with editing in Adobe Premiere.
- Experience in a similar role.
- Experience with filming and using cameras.
- Experience with lighting a set.
- Experience with recording and editing audio.
- Social media savvy – you should be aware of the various changes and new video formats on different platforms.
- Accuracy and attention to detail – you should be competent in fact checking yours and others work.
- Flexible and adaptable with projects.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work on own projects unsupervised.
You will be expected to demonstrate or provide examples of your work in Animate, After Effects and Premier
Desirable (but not essential for application)
- Experience with hand drawn animation
- Strong writing skills.
- Knowledge of filming and editing with green screen.
To apply for this role please send
- A cover letter and your most recent CV
- An example of work created with Adobe Animate
- An example of work created with After Effects
- A link to your latest show reel
To email@example.com the subject line should read "VIDEO EDITOR & ANIMATION SUPPORT”
This is an office-based role in our London office and applicants must live in London or be able to commute.
Applications close 03/09/19